14 audio Reviews with Responses

"Running into Hope" "Running into Hope"

Cool

I really like your use modes in this piece. The tone of the piece is very nice. It's subdued, yet still sticks to major modalities (mixolydian is useful for that, isn't it?). Some of the mild dissonance in the beginning is really interesting. Also, really good use of percussion, a lot of people go overboard with percussion (i.e. anything on the front page or anything with "epic" in the title). The orchestration sounds professional, too. I enjoyed how different instruments just faded in, like the piano. Just curious, what is the orchestration?

Anyway, good job, I don't know why all of the original sounding stuff ends up with low scores.

Roy00 responds:

Thanks! but im not sure what you're asking by what is the orchestration. all i could say is that everything i do is original and that this is my first song done by a newer version of Finale 2009. i thought it would be a good twist to put in some percussion for once.

%heil% Mixed Up %heil% Mixed Up

Lulz

Obvious troll is obvious.

Heil responds:

where

Our Love Forever Our Love Forever

Cool

Pretty sweet. I really liked the diversity in the instruments used (though it needs moar clarinet!). At 1:32, though, it didn't feel quite right after the conclusion of the previous section. Maybe it was too loud, or the texture was too similar. I appreciate that you kept it short, as it was clear that it was based on very small set of motifs. Good job.

Bosa responds:

Hm, thanks for the interesting advice. Although, I don't know if a clarinet solo would sound quite right with this piece. I carefully hand picked the instruments to be used, and I'm glad to receive feedback from the public.

Thanks again,
Bosa

~The Great Adventure~ ~The Great Adventure~

Okay

Not really a fan of the overdone electronic effects, but I will comment on the music.

I'd say that the enjoyability of this piece is hindered by the plodding chord progressions. It might be a combination of a weird tempo and the predictable stock progression, but one major problem is the all too frequent V-i resolutions. It kills all movement and the melody leads up to it so perfectly that you know exactly what's going to happen. When the melody is more independent in this piece, it's actually not bad. Maybe the tempo should be faster or slower, but it's at an awkward tempo as it is. Not too shabby, though.

Lol, your right, 2k views? Did you leave it looping and walk away?

JakesFable responds:

No I don't think so, But thats really wierd for that to happen after 4 min of being up on the latest songs side and it to already have 2k reviews, Probly just a glich or something idk. Thanks alot for the comment, Very much aprieciated ;)

Dance of Dreams (Improv Piano) Dance of Dreams (Improv Piano)

Good

I like your tendency to avoid easy V-I resolutions. It extends the lines and makes it more interesting. I wish I could improv like this. Sometimes bass chords are repeated too often without any change and are also too loud for doing this. That's about it though. Sounds really good, especially your use of unconventional chords and 7th chords. Is it based on something that's already written

DPK4 responds:

Not really, I just sorta started playing and it sounded good, hit the record button and took off. thank you for the compliments though! I do agree some of the bass chords were too loud at times but eh, I probably was hitting blanks during the performance but, hey, our dreams do that too, sometimes they repeat things over and over, and other times they fly all over the place, much like this piece demonstrates.

LoZ-Rutela's Final Goodbye LoZ-Rutela's Final Goodbye

Good

Yay for major II substitution. Really good resonance. Not a bad melody, but a little cliche in a few parts. The chords kept it interesting, though.

Setu-Firestorm responds:

Probably a lot of the reason the melody seemed cliche was due to the fact that this is an original rendition (if THAT ain't an oxymoron) of a Legend of Zelda melody, in which case, the melody would have to be expressed or implied at some point in the piece as sort of a signature.

Besideswhich, the piece was intended to relay an emotional moment and not so much be a grande classical score. That's just the way I compose.

Thanks for the review.

Where am i? Where am i?

Fivers

Really liked it. Great use of the whole minor/major 3rd confliction. I like the modal qualities a lot. Most composers seem to be afraid of these kind of things, and this sounds really good. The top line gets a little monotonous, and there aren't as much dynamics as there maybe should be. Are you playing this, or is it midi? Anyway, this is one of the few pieces that I've given a 5 on.

padlock916 responds:

Thanks very much. This is actually a midi bro! sounds great dosen't it. if you put the concert piano on and get reverb just right you almost can't tell the difference. Thanks for the comment.

+*+*(Mozart - Allegretto)*+*+ +*+*(Mozart - Allegretto)*+*+

Mozart?

If you're looking for a composer to imitate, just don't use Mozart. The melodies were Mozartian, which means they sound like melodies that Mozart ripped off of previous composers.

Your chord inversions are all wrong. Mozart was very careful about writing the proper bass note and not doubling the 3rd. I also heard a few obvious tritones, which Mozart also worked to disguise. I heard quite a few 2nd inversion chords that don't fit whether you are directly imitating Mozart or just common practice era in general. There were some cadences where Mozart or any other common practice composer would've dropped down the octave, especially because these particular cadences are conclusive and use simple parallel octaves, which, again, Mozart would've avoided. Also, speaking of cadences, instead of using inconclusive cadences, you just used badly voiced conclusive cadences. Bottom line, if you're going to purposefully write strictly to common practice theory ala Mozart, know the rules and FOLLOW THEM. Mozart may have been a mediocre composer, but he is in theory the composer who follows tonal rules the best.

The melodies didn't have any originality or voice. Obviously, this is partly due to imitation of an imitator. Even still, there was a certain personality that was lacking. It's almost as if you created a template of Mozart motifs and stuck them together. The main theme is bland and forgettable. After it plays this once in a while, it falls into rambling segments of patchy melody made up of German style suspension-resolve motifs and typical use of secondary dominant melody.

I hated, hated, hated this piece. It is completely unoriginal, even on a Mozart standard. My suggestion to you is to wait until you come up with a good, heartfelt, at least slightly original melody or motif before you write something. Also, don't write a clearly common practice piece if you can't write the voices correctly. It's much better to write a piece that breaks rules and sounds good rather than write a piece that follows all the rules and sounds formulaic.

I respect fellow composers. It's difficult when people don't care about music that I write, or criticize it, but taking this criticism and using it is necessary. You sound young, judging by your music. To this end, your biggest goal throughout your musical development should be developing your own voice. I'd say that if you're going to write stuff like this, unless it's perfect, consider it practice in theory, and don't submit it. Look forward to hearing more original work.

Chronamut responds:

*sighs* im 24..

-shawn-

*+*+(Infinity & Eternity)+*+* *+*+(Infinity & Eternity)+*+*

Better

I just reviewed your Mozart piece... this is better. Again, the voicing is still off. A lot of the time, I think there isn't strong enough of a bass. What was mostly lacking in this piece was resonance. The movement of the bass in the piano was awkward. It wasn't too bad, the chords were fine. In fact, you had a lot of good original chord progression throughout the piece, exhibited in both the accompanying chords and the melody. A few were misplaced or distant sounding, but it's better to be adventurous than formulaic in virtually any case. The problem was that the bass was too high the whole piece and there wasn't a lot of conclusiveness. The lack of conclusiveness wasn't bad, but the piece feels too long without it. I like how the melody avoids easy suss tones and cadences, since it's unpredictable and keeps me listening, but it needs a break somewhere. You also need to establish a primary motif or theme. I find that this is often the most important part in pieces that are primarily chordal homophony. It doesn't even have to be real complicated; in fact, it's best if it isn't. Coming out of a really complex section and breaking with a repeated conclusive motif works really well.

Anyway, it's good except for the voicing. I really like how you're developing your melodic voice.

Chronamut responds:

ya you're right - but that's the greatnes of music making - there is always room for improvement - and you can never please everyone, right?

Also I made this on a laptop - even with regular speakers hooked up - I won't hear as much bass as you will. There is also a thing as too much resonance - this piece is fine resonance-wise to my ears and that's all that counts ;)

thanks for the review, El-Scotto1

-shawn-

-[The Little Ones]- -[The Little Ones]-

Chords...

The progression you used really sucked, to be truthful.

The melody was very good, though. Really awesome melody, though you tried to do a secondary dominant at one point and it didn't work with the chords. You could make it work, but maybe have the chords sound before the melody note. The ending was a bit weird, too. Maybe you should have used a more consonant 7th chord?

Decerto responds:

The chords seem to suit this style of music, though the chords are really, really basic and simple, no other progession worked at the time when i composed it. I'll take on board what you've said, and i'll try to make the song better :)

Thanks for the comment,